Christine Kim – Looking Outwards – 01

The project I came across in the Creative Applications Network is the Folding Patterns which stimulates the folded paper structure. This was created by Ann-Katrin Krenz and it operates to find ways to create 3D structures that behave like paper. This project tests out different scenarios of papers falling from a certain height to observe the collisions. Although it is still an ongoing project, it strives to develop the analyses of the behaviors of paper falling to create an algorithm.

Bildschirmfoto-2016-05-08-um-23.08.39-1920x1080

Bildschirmfoto-2016-05-08-um-23.09.00-1920x1080

Finding a way to figure out and recored the behaviors of paper inspired me to learn more about this project. Personally, I thought it was interesting how Krenz is trying to develop an algorithm of the different behaviors and outcomes of paper falling to the ground because I had to work with folding papers on one of my projects during my second semester architecture studio. By using different ways to fold and make connections with paper itself, I had to try out many different shapes and test out how the marble on the paper would move through all the folded areas. I thought having this algorithm of the behaviors of folded paper might have helped me with my project a little if it were available.

Because this project is looking at all possible ways that the paper might hit the ground, it is going to have many ranges of the way the paper falls with different folded structures. However, it also brings me to think about how the folded paper will be all different even if the paper was meant to be folded in the same way as another. To make the project closer to being accurate, all the paper structures of the same fold should be tested together because it won’t all go down the same way.

As an interaction designer and media artist, Krenz wanted to investigate more about the generative and visual behaviors of folded paper.

Faltung-1024x1365

MoeglicheParameter-1024x1365