Michal Luria – Looking Outwards – 09

Kinematic Dress / N-e-r-v-o-u-s System (2014)

source

Looking Outwards 03 by sajohnso

I was fascinated by the project of a 3D printed dress that is aimed to be flexible, and that would allow movement and would lay comfortably on the body, like other garments, rather than hard 3D printed wearable “sculptures” that were previously designed using 3D printed techniques.

I agree with the Looking Outwards post in that the most interesting aspect of this project is not in the dress itself,  but the sophisticated printing method – the dress was simulated being folded on a computer and was printed in a folded “chunk of a dress”. This allowed to print it in one piece, rather than hand assembly small parts.

I would like to extend on how this is important for the advancement of 3D printed garments. In my opinion, the ability to “fold” parts on the computer and only then print it allows easy home fabrication in one click. Anybody can create this kind of item, since assembly is not required. This indeed places us one step closer to a DIY fashion revolution, as sajohnso posted on this project.