mdambruc LookingOutwards-12

Fez, created by Phil Fish 2012

Trailer for Fez

The first project is the game Fez, created by Phil Fish. The character in this game lives in a 2D world but one day finds that he has the power to explore a 3D world. This video game is more focused on the beautiful pixel art graphics he has created. It is more of a “stop and smell the flowers” game, as opposed to just quickly trying to get through levels. I really appreciate the general aesthetic of this game and will be inspired by his use of graphics in my own interactive game, by using pixel art. This game notoriously took 5 years to be completely created, which frustrated many gamers that wanted to play the game. I appreciate Fish’s dedication to his work and the standards he has for himself – due to him recreating the game 3 times in order for it to be perfect.

Compared to Fez, the game Persist by adventure islands (created in 2013), is much simpler. However, they are both still utilizing platforms and are centered around the journey of a character. However I do enjoy the use of simple graphics to convey space. I chose Persist by adventure islands because I thought it was a simple game that i could base my own interactive game off of. Using basic key controls to navigate the player as well as a restarting system that returned the player to the beginning of the game if killed, I chose this game because those attributes are very similar to what I want to replicate in my own game. In Persist they could have overlooked having the levels be a bit more different from each other, however I do enjoy the use of a narrative they provide.

http://gamejolt.com/games/persist/15556#close

playable game of persist.