rsp1-SectionB-LookingOutwards-01

So my research began with the simple search of the words “new media art installations interactive” which led me to discover a project gallery called Teknopolis hosted by a group call BAM. In Teknopolis, a collection of 10 different new media art is displayed, many of them being interactive. One project that caught my eye was the project call Lumarca created by Matt Parker, a new media artist and game designer in collaboration with Albert Hwang. According to his bio, his interests are deeply settled into the exploration of the intersection between both the physical and digital worlds. Lumarca, Latin for “lightbox” is an installation which uses only a computer, a projector, and yard as the projected screen in order to showcase a three dimensional volumetric display of images and motion. And since the materials used were so simple, the cost for the completion of this project was very cheap and affordable.

Below is a short documentary about the project:

According to the documentary, Parker was inspired by his desire to create something three dimensional, something in which the user can experience it instead of viewing solely from a flat two dimensional screen.

In contrast, what inspired me about the project was that this project is cable for any artist to use and create their own versions of new media art using the software and system that Parker and Hwang had developed.

Here are some of the examples of different artists’ works inspired by Lumarca as documented on Parker’s website:

http://lumarca.info/gallery.html

Some critiques that I might have about this project would be that maybe this project was too static? If the creators really wanted to make this a truly three dimensional experience, I feel that it would have been beneficial to incorporate different animations or projections that look like the real world, kind of like the images that one sees in the Oculus rift, but outside of the bulky goggles.