sunmink-lookingoutwards01

I visited ‘WONDER’ in my senior year of high school to take photographs with a film camera. While my friends and I were touring, we were mesmerized by the atmosphere different lighting and texture creates.

Exhibition ‘WONDER’ was displayed in Renwick Gallery to celebrate their newly renewed museum. The exhibition consisted of artworks from nine leading contemporary artists including Jennifer Angus, Chakaia Booker, and Gabriel Dawe. Highlights of ‘WONDER’ was observing unexpected materials such as threads, insects, and woods.

Jennifer Angus Renwick Wonder

An artwork I remember from ‘WONDER’ is Jennifer Angus, brightly-colored insects’ exhibition. She filled the room with real insects that are primarily in Malaysia, Thailand, and Papua New Guinea. Since she loves the nature and loves to travel to places that are naturally preserved and free from human’s trace, she uses natural sources to create her art. Especially, choosing color magenta red for the wall for its originality from the cochineal insect living in Mexico was interesting because it tells the relation between human’s use of technology to create colors and the nature that provides the source. Jennifer Angus, researching the formula of color to solely use production from nature inspired me to see the link between technology and nature.