TSWARSTA-Section A-LookingOutwards-03

As soon as I saw “Rottlace” created by the MIT Media Lab I knew where it was from. Rottlace is a series of masks created for Bjork and inspired by Bjork’s music. I enjoy the intricacy of the masks and how they seam to be in motion, as well as the technical quality they have. The ideas of self-healing and having a skinless face align well with the visual style of the mask.

This parametric object was 3D printed using multi-material printing, which allows the elaborate combinations of different properties and variables to be produced. The properties are distributed complex structures, in this instance Bjork’s face, allowing the mask to fit perfectly as well as allowing the structure and shape of the mask to coexist with Bjork’s face, causing both elements to complement each other. The technology utilized in the printing of this mask has allowed the design to be fluid and has allowed for the combination of elements with different transparencies and generated modules to coexist in a single form. The simulation that generated the code and creation of this piece is mimicking that of both lace but something of vein structure as well.

https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/rottlace/overview/