Hannahk2-LookingOutwards-08

Elliot Woods is a digital media artist and technologist from Manchester based in Seoul. He fosters interactions between humans and socio-visual design technologies, more specifically involving projectors, cameras, and graphical computation. He co-founded Kimchi and Chips, an art and technology studio with Mimi Son. They display the realms of material and immaterial, creating speculative visual objects which poke at the unpredictable attributes of things when they are touched with technology. I admire the groups’ success in encouraging the dialogue between digital and modern art cultures, and playing with the illusion of reality and immateriality. I really was amazed by their light projections project, and even wrote on it for my first looking outwards. It is a project in which they create intangible shapes and forms by gathering light projection beams. They present their work effectively by first showing the concept and digital mock ups, then the implementation and actual technical process of creating the work, and the final product. I think this would be a great way for me to clearly present future technology related artworks.

Eyeo 2014 – Mimi Son and Elliot Woods from Eyeo Festival // INSTINT on Vimeo.

A video of my favorite project from this group.

Light Barrier, 2014 from Mimi Son on Vimeo.

http://www.kimchiandchips.com/