svitoora – 09 Looking Outward

“Our Time” is a piece commissioned by the MONA (Museum of Old and New Art) which was intended to take you on an ethereal sensory journey, warping the way you view and think of time.”

I agree that “the amount of effort put into immersion in this is remarkable, and the piece utilizes our most basic senses to warp our perceptions of human constructs”. Although the code is simply an analog input of a person heartbeat being actuated by the motors of pendulums and the lights, the immersion effect created by the multitude of lights ad movement overwhelms our sense of time and space, thereby transporting us to a whole different state of existence. As somebody who is personally interested in physical computing, I deeply admire this project because it takes computing away from the digital screen and into the physical realm, thereby blurring the line between physical and digital environments. Although the algorithms itself is not sophisticated or complex, the whole of the artwork is greater than the sum of its mechanical and digital parts. If possible, I would love to experiment more with writing code on a physical level.

SaveSave