rsp1-LookingOutwards-10

http://cargocollective.com/limilab

Filipa Valente

screen cap of one type of Filipa’s work

I chose to research the works of artist Filipa Valente for this Looking Outwards blog. What most caught my eye when I was perusing the list of women artists, was that Filipa’s works were that of architectural lighting. For me personally, I am currently an architecture student but I am also very interested in the aspects of lighting design and how they can be implemented into the user’s experience and such.

another example of Filipa’s work

Her work, Filtered Transparencies, is an interactive art installation that uses layered light, space and sound to create an immersive experience. The installation uses projected imagery and a maze of transparent screens to blur physical spatial boundaries and transports its users into an augmented hologram-like environment.

The installation’s structure is designed to become ‘invisible’ and traversable – an architectural void into which the illusion of mass and dimensionality emerge. Users can interact with the space as well by altering the projected content, and switching environments.