ikrsek-Looking Outwards-11

“Glorious MIDI Unicorn”, Feb 20, 2017, Andrew Huang

My example of computer music is interesting in it’s creativity and alternative utilization of a computer based music program which ends in a pretty interesting way. Using an MIDI editor, Andrew Huang drew a unicorn on the digital score sheet and took a video of the music it played. He used the MIDI as a drawing device and literally gave a voice to a drawing he made, allowing it to sing for itself in a sense. The only date available is the date the artist posted the video to YouTube which is Feb. 20th, 2017 – so this is a very recent piece.

There’s not a lot I can say about it considering it’s not really meant to be viewed as a formal art piece, aside from mentioning how I just found this whole concept to be quite funny and clever, and the music itself sounds surprisingly good. It’s easy to imagine how something like this could turn into somebody’s art practice, and in fact it’s actually inspired many other people to create drawings that double as musical compositions using MIDI as a medium/interface – there are even tutorials that help you learn how to do it yourself.
In terms of the algorithms associated work the work, I’m not so sure how heavy of an aspect it is in the creation of these sound drawings, and the algorithms lie in the MIDI program itself.

Here’s a link to the video: