rsp1-LookingOutwards-12

Toca Boca and Stack!

In my search for precursor projects to our final project, I decided to research different apps. From my search, I found an app created by Toca Boca (https://tocaboca.com/about/) called Toca Life and Stack! created by Ketchapp. Because our project is going to be more of a cause and effect based project, I found that the apps that I found followed very closely to the goals that we initially wanted.

Below is an introductory video that gives you a feel of what kinds of products Toca Boca makes.

The apps that Toca Boca creates cater more to younger children and letting them interact with a virtual world while also simultaneously teaching them lessons in a more fun and dynamic way. The apps are simple enough for young children to use while also visually appealing.

The next app, Stack! helps as a precursor because in our final project, we wanted to implement a game where particles are being dropped from the top of the canvas onto a platform in the lower part of the canvas. This app encompasses exactly that as it has blocks that fall from the top of the screen onto a separate canvas. However, where the goal in this app is to stack the blocks as high as possible, the goal in our project’s game will be to gather different types of ingredients for a new recipe that the character makes.

iPhone Screenshot 1
screenshot of the app in play