Sheenu-Looking Outwards-12

Bleep Space – iOS Sequencer Toy and Tabletop Arcade

Bleep Space is an iOS Sequencer Toy and arcade created by Andy Wallace & Dan Friel that uses geometric graphics that produce music and sound. The inspiration for this public installation came when Andy enjoyed playing with his friend’s KORG synthesizer. The game was written on OpenFrameworks and the arcade version of this game is nearly identical to its online PC release counterpart. People can create something that is not only auditorily pleasing but also visually pleasing as well.

The Creatures of Prometheus – Generative visualisation of Beethoven’s ballet with Houdini

Another project is called The Creatures of Prometheus, created by Simon Russell. The piece is an orchestra of animated figures that move, change color, and play music using a MIDI file on the program Houdini, a software made to program and run all the figures. An interesting quote from Russell himself is when he said “Usually I’d hand animate every last detail but this one is essentially generative”. This quote really relates to my proposed project.

Both projects involve sound and visual graphics, however the Bleep Space game is more of a videogame that requires people to interact and play with as The Creatures of Prometheus  is a program that automatically takes MIDI music and converts it into animation.

I see both projects very relevant to my proposed project. I proposed to make an animation software that is easy to use yet very generative and unpredictable. I want my project to be just as fun to use like the Bleep Space game and also very artsy, generative, and automated just like The Creatures of Prometheus program.

Author: Sheenu You

Choo choo