Christine Chen- Looking Outwards-01

Above provides a quick glance of one of teamLab’s exhibitions in Tokyo
Source: Creators-TeamLab; Exhibition-TeamLab Planets TOKYO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDi_2C04UY

TeamLab is a Japanese design and software collective.  The group consists of small group of around 30 various professionals, such as programmers, architects, engineers, artists, etc., from different fields who collaborate with each other to create forms that join art, science, nature, and technology together.  Creating the project required the group to write computer programs for digital creation and software applications that simulates forms of natures, such as waves. These digital creations are also interactive and reacts to people’s movements. The creators were motivated to create forms that go beyond the boundaries that divides up the nature and the artificial. Through this, they created a successful “first word art.”

What fascinates me most is how well teamLab portrays a “borderless world.” They show how digital forms dissolve the lines between technology and nature. Another boundary that was removed was the one between the artwork and the audiences as the installation pieces were interactive. While I was at the exhibition, I was astonished at how the simulated sounds, visual forms, and interactions made me feel as if I was standing among a natural environment. In there, nature and technology merged into one through the world created with teamLab’s creative output and exist harmoniously with each other.