Looking Outward 01: Issho is my Inspiration

I have always been interested in creative computation in the context of wearables, but I feel like so often that means just putting rope leds or sensors on the body. Thus after some extensive some research I found this project by Pauline Van Dongen where she takes a much more sensitive and thoughtful approach to the entire concept of wearable technology.

This was a collaboration between her studio and ItalDenim where the two created a more intimate computational interaction. This was very interesting to me because it requires no interface or phone app for it to be considered wearable tech.

In fact, it does the opposite and keeps the tech within the closed system of the jacket.  Conductive fibres are woven into the fabric of the Issho jacket, connecting a series of sensors with motorised parts. When the sensors register touch on various parts of the garment, an integrated component reacts to give the wearer a “gentle stroke” on their upper back. It’s controlled by a microcontroller that senses the jacket is being worn.

The Denim Jacket embraces denim’s characteristics to hold a unique dialogue with its wearer. Based on the wearer’s behaviour, the jacket responds to intimate touches to become a mediator of revived experiences in daily life.

I like this project alot because even though it is rather complex when it comes to it’s included tech, the focus is very much on the physical interaction and its relationship with the wearer.

Through bodily sensations, this jacket encourages you to be present in an increasing accelerating world in which our mind is often focused on future events.

Studio Van Dongen’s past work includes some rather futuristic looking generated clothing so adding a computational element to this denim garment wasn’t too far off from the brand.

Issho | An Intelligent Denim Jacket by Pauline van Dongen from Pauline van Dongen on Vimeo.