Anthony Ra – Looking Outwards – 02

“Unreleased Thoughts – neurons fire, images form”

Instead of a specific installation or project, I decided to look at a singular artist’s collection of works. From his biography, Sergio Albiac plays with the “visual intersection between generative computer code and traditional media. I originally ran across his work while on Pinterest and part of what his work that is especially intriguing is his implementation of two things that I have much interest in – portraits and learning art through code.

Using voice and facial recognition to generate a portrait
2016 Internet Age Media Weekend

However, one of his works that stand out the most is “I am”. People sit in a visual portrait studio and, speaking to an audio application program interface, codes those words to create a portrait using those descriptions. It is the type of interactive artwork that does not involve the longevity of sitting through oil paintings or a couple nanoseconds of a flick of a film camera.

generated by sensors from cars

Part of what I really enjoy with his work is that it does not initially seem to have any generative-ness into it. Some of his work seems like oil paintings or watercolor, but upon further look, the ability to put computer programming and coding into a product that is convincingly realistic is something I definitely want to look into in the near future.