Rachel Lee Looking Outwards 04 Section E

Sonic Playground by Yuri Suzaki Design and High Atlanta (2018)

The project I have chosen to write about is Sonic Playground by Yuri Suzaki Design with High Atlanta. I admire this project because of its interactive quality, and how it engages the public in an immersive experience based on their own personal input (manipulating the sounds they are making via various processes). I think this creates an intimate relationship between the user and the artwork, and invites them to be curious and explore it piece. The creators of this piece created algorithms via a raytracing tool. This tool allowed users to pick a sound source of their choice, and relay that sound in a specified direction, or towards the shape of the mirrors of bell at the start and end of the pipes. The result of these algorithms includes sound that envelopes those interacting with the piece, and lateral reflections. I think that the creator’s artistic sensibilities manifested in the final form via the bright colors of the sound sculptures, and the shape and direction in which the ‘speakers’ point– this allows for a playfulness in not only form, but also in sound that has the potential to evoke strong emotions of joy and wonder in those interacting with Sonic Playground.