Christine Chen-Looking Outwards-05

Above is Filip Hodas’s piece Post-apocalyptic Hello Kitty created in 2017
Source: https://scene360.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/filip-hodas-02.jpg

Filip Hodas, a computer graphic artist from Prague, used computer softwares to create a series of 3D rendering artworks portraying pop culture dystopia. He used Maxon Cinema 4D, Octane Render, Substance Painter and Photoshop to create these stunning renderings. What I admire most about his pieces is how incredibly detailed they are. He used the softwares for illustration, computer animation and visual effects to create pieces that are so detailed that they are almost like photos. I just can’t believe that all the intricate scratches, shadows of depth, and textures are created with computer programs which again make me realize the impressive capacities that computer programs help us achieve.

His sense of style and futuristic ideas behind this series is also very unique and interesting- to think of objects, items and icons of current pop culture, such as Hello Kitty, Mario, Mickey Mouse, Sponge Bob……etc., as things to be turned into defunct, ominous forms when all living on Earth have disappeared millions and millions of years from now. It is also quite shocking for me to see these characters, which seems to be related to innocence because of how popular they are among children, be portrayed in such a negative way. I almost didn’t recognize the items portrayed within the pieces because of how different they are.