Audrey Zheng – Looking Outwards -07

ATD, an organization dedicated to community college student success, approached Graphicacy to help them analyze and visualize member college performance data collected over their ten year history. They wanted to create a conversation starter for their 2014 Dream Conference.

This is an infographic created by the company Graphicacy. I thought this start up was cool because they specialize in making information visual, persuasive and shareable. Starting with an in-depth discovery process, Graphicacy builds  websites and interactive applications, and produce data visualization and information graphics, motion graphic videos and data analysis. Their team specializes in open source solutions including Drupal, WordPress, and Angular.

The Center for American Progress asked Graphicacy to translate a report into compelling interactives. The report is about the economic benefits of closing the achievement gap between white students, hispanics, and blacks. They created an animated explainer video and interactive charts that show how pernicious gaps open even before a child’s first day of school.

There is something about the moving image that draws me to these statistics. It is much easier for me to visualize the difference between ethnic groups with the people, versus seeing a number (16 million). The chart allows me to toggle between ‘view as one group’ and ‘view as race’ and the people will run and change color.

this one lets you see the distribution as well

See more of Graphicacy’s work here.