Justin Yook – Looking Outwards 08

Chris Sugrue is a digital artist who is known to create interactive displays, audiovisual performances, and algorithmic animations. She has a Masters of Fine Arts in Design and Technology from Parsons School of Design, and now is based in Paris, France; she currently is a teacher at Parsons Paris.  Sugrue’s work mostly involves experimenting with technology by coming up with fascinating ways to explore artificial life, optical illusions, and eye-tracking. I admire her art because each piece she made has a different story within it. Story is important in any art piece because it gives the art a new level of depth and interpretation. My favorite project is Delicate Boundaries, an interactive simulation where cell-like creatures on a screen can crawl onto the person touching the screen; the small creatures move around a person’s body to another in interesting ways. The visual for this project is very simple, so that it is relaxing to the eyes. However, the project’s message and interactivity makes all the difference because it is a way for something so simple looking to have so much complexity. I learned from this that what is more important than visuals is the message that is conveyed, and that my projects should try to incorporate more interactivity.

Source: http://csugrue.com/delicateboundaries/