Rjpark – Looking Outwards 08

I’m using one of my late days.

Representation of Differential Growth for FloraForm

Jesse Louis Rosenberg is an artist and programmer who uses a combination of technology, art, and science when creating his nature inspired, computer simulation designs. He studied mathematics at MIT and has previously worked as a consultant for Gehry Technologies. He is now working in his own design studio called Nervous System in Somerville, Massachusetts, which he co-founded with Jessica Rosenkrantz back in 2007. His work consists of understanding scientific knowledge of nature and applying that to design that’s interactive and open. One of his works is the FloraForm, which is the latest generative design that is inspired by biomechanics of growing leaves and flowers. I admire the work because of its beauty and intricacy but I admire his thinking and designing process even more because he studies the science behind his inspiration. He focuses on the growing process of flowers and how that affects the shape and form. He also compares his findings (shapes and forms) to that of other things like jellyfish and sea slugs. He tries to fully understand every possible shape and form that can arise from flowers so that he can create a design that’s not only beautiful but also representative of its inspiration. In the video, you can see how Jesse and Jessica explain their work more in depth. They both explain their work using pictures and sketches which takes the audience through every step of their process. Every step also has an important purpose. In other words, they might’ve sketched or studied something to understand the shape/form or science or intricacy/beauty behind their inspiration and understanding each of these are important for the overall design of their final work. This has taught me that it’s important to have physical evidence or visuals throughout your thinking process. Not only does it help the audience understand your work in the end, but it also helps you analyze everything that you need to thoroughly, without missing any key information.

Video

Nervous System

About Nervous System

FloraForm