Emily Zhou – Looking Outwards – 09

This week, I looked at a MIT Media Lab project on voxel-printing for digital fabrication that was originally reviewed here by Julie Choi.

Reconstructed living human lung tissue on a microfluidic device.

A voxel represents a value on a regular grid in three-dimensional space. Given that understanding, I am fascinated by how this unit can be used to create sculptural works of art. I agree that the most interesting part lies in the data focused physical visualization. I think that the artistic decisions in coordinating colours, as well as selecting a topic of data largely contributes to the beauty of each final piece.

Close-up of data physicalization of the human brain; visualizes bundles of axons.

On the technical side, the program repurposes a multimaterial voxel-printing method that is most often associated with scientific imaging. I find this to be an extremely innovative way to derive new artistic modes. As mentioned in the original review, MIT Media Lab is focusing on advancing 3D printing technology so no titles are given to the works. But, I hope the see this style of media make its way into the art world.