Connor McGaffin – Looking Outwards – 09

This post is in response to Mimi Jiao’s looking outwards post from week three, which can be found here.

Andrew Kudless is an architect and professor who leads Matsys, a studio based in Oakland, California which does work at the intersection of form, growth, and material systems. Material systems, the central motif of the studio, refers to the interactions of a material’s biologic, geologic, and synthetic qualities.

P_Wall (2013)                                                                                                                                                              FRAC Centre, Orleans, France                                                                                                                           concrete cast into preformed panels secured on steel frame

I was drawn to the piece “P_Wall” in for the same reasons Mimi was. I feel a personal connection to the piece and a desire to interact with it through touch.

Mimi proposed the idea of an extension of this piece through the installation of a more interactive iteration. I am interested in this idea because of the indirect dialogue the piece would conduct amongst those who have engaged with the form.

After further research into the fabrication process for “P_Wall” I have found that although Matsys renders a the panel forms digitally, they also embrace the inaccuracies in how the concrete slurry settles into approximate equilibrium.

view of concrete settling into the fabric stretched over a wooden frame, manipulated by wooden dowels, to create a panel of P_Wall (source)

Mimi touched upon the connotations in the final organic form resembling that of a tree. I agree that the wall feels very natural, although I initially felt that the wall looked like a collection of torsos smoothly cropped out of context. The folds resemble that of a sitting or turning person.

This impression is in sharp contrast to the inflation test Matsys used in modeling a sister piece to P_Wall, titled Sevenstar (2011). The initial form of this piece reminds me of a tessellation of lounge cushions, inviting me to sit. As the render progresses, it comes to live and begins to warp in a breathing motion. The rendering process is mesmerizingly beautiful, placing me as a spectator to an abstract materialization of life.

source