Lingfan Jiang – Looking Outwards 09

I looked through Kai Zhang’s posts. One of them talked about the making of Movie CGI Effects in Doctor Strange in 2016. The video attached is very interesting to look at. Here’s the link for that.

It is surprising that the process of CGI making is not all about 3D generated objects. A lot of the times it is a combination of 2D and 3D layers that make up the full imagery.

It is also amazing to see how much software is capable now. Being an architecture student myself, it is still really difficult for me to imagine rendering one frame of the movie. Although the process is a lot different from each other, the final product is still fascinating to look at.

I think in the original post, Kai really explained the process really well. For me, on the other hand, I am interested in what it means to have those amazing effects. First of all, being a Marvel movie, Doctor Strange is a movie with great fighting scenes and fancy looks. However, with those effects, actors had to act based on their imagination and acting experience. As for the movies themselves, we like to watch these kinds of visual effects. In order to not let people feel bored, more and more money is invested to create better effects. As a result, the characters’ emotions become less important in those movies. They are definitely nice movies to watch, but normally we do not learn from them anymore.  Image result for doctor strange cgi

Here is the original post.

Kai Zhang-Looking Outwards-05