Jessica Timczyk – Looking Outwards 10

Some of the man hole coverings included in Ingrid Burrington’s website and book about New York’s networks and infrastructures.

Ingrid Burrington is an author, activist, and hacker and has worked on many  exhibitions, projects making maps, writing books and teaching at various schools including Cooper Union and the Rhode Island School of Design. She is from and still lives in New York City, and I unfortunately was unable to find where she went to school. One of her most interesting works, I have found, is her website and book Seeing Networks in New York City, that details New York’s network infrastructure. I found this project incredibly interesting because when in New York, normally a visitor is looking for and paying attention to all the sight-seeing and famous buildings and etc. that are there, but this project provides a map of city focusing on features that are commonly over looked. For example man hold covers, street markings and antennas. This project provides a different way to look at New York that I find incredibly interesting.