Joanne Lee – Looking Outward 10

SUPERHYPERCUBE (2016, Heather Kelley).

The project I chose to discuss is called SUPERHYPERCUBE. It is a “VR first person puzzler” that was originally developed for PlayStationVR. In order to play this game, you must figure out how to rotate the cubes on your screen to fit the approaching wall. With each successful completion, you get more and more cubes, making it more difficult to see the shape of the wall behind you. At that point you must quickly peek around the cubes to see the shape of the wall and figure out the correct rotations.

This fascinating game was created by Heather Kelley who is a veteran game designer, digital artist, and media curator among many things. She has served as the co-chair of the IGDA’s Women in Game Development Special Interest Group for 7 years and is clearly very passionate and good at what she does. She is the co-founder of Kokoromi (an experimental game collective) and has created many creative games under her belt. I admired this game in particular because I really love puzzle games and the idea of a VR version was very interesting to me. I also admire how involved she has been in advocating women in game development and it has inspired me to try to create a small, simple game as a side project during the remainder of this semester!