Kevin Riordan Looking Outwards-10-Section C

For this week’s looking outwards, I chose Distortion Pavilion, a reconfigurable art piece by Caitlin Morris. This was created in 2010 for an annual club-culture music festival in Copenhagen, Denmark. The piece has been developed in a collaboration between American and Danish architects and designers. It was primarily constructed of acoustical foam. I admire how it is able to be both functional and aesthetic, as it is able to block sound  in the midst of the festival while being colorful and architecturally aesthetic to add to the festivity. I also admire that the acoustical foam is robust enough to have many people sit on it. The piece can be taken apart and reconfigured. The artist Caitlin Morris is based in New York and she is a designer and an engineer working with Hypersonic. She mainly focuses on digital and fabricated media. She explores the interaction between perceptions in physical space, with particular emphasis on sound and visuals. She also experiments with the boundary between digital and physical representations of space.

Interior of the Pavillion
distortion
A possible configuration