Lingfan Jiang – Looking Outwards 10

The project I chose for this week is “Filtered Transparencies 2.0” done by Filipa Valente in 2015.

Filipa is a female creator of dynamic light architectures. As for this project specifically, it is an interactive installation that uses layered light, space, and sound to create an immersive experience. It uses projected imagery and a maze of transparent screens to blur physical spatial boundaries and transports its users into an augmented hologram-like environment. The reason I admire her work is that to me, the most important aspect of architecture is the human experience. Instead of using solid walls to create spatial conditions, she used light to create a completely different world. Hologram is being used a lot in fictional movies, but not many architects are trying to combine those technologies into architecture. Therefore, I think she did a really good job in that area.

Filipa Valente is a Portuguese architect/ environmental designer based in LA. She completed her BSc and Masters in Architecture at the Bartlett School of Architecture in London and the Masters in Media Art and Architecture MEDIASCAPES at SciArc in LA. She has held design and project management positions at different prestigious architectural practices around the world such as Zaha Hadid Architects.