Kevin Riordan Looking Outwards-11-Section C

For this week’s looking outwards, the algorithmic music project that I chose is Andrius Sarpovas’ Kinetic Generative Music Installation. Through transposition and conversion, the data of half a million people is turned into energy impulses that produce a complex acoustic variation. I admire his creativity of thinking of turning statistics into a musical composition. I resonate with his belief that music is not merely songs that we usually listen to but it is also the rhythmic patterns, the space, the melody or the harmony that we encounter in our daily life. I think that turning different people’s consciousness into music is meaningful because individual’s own presence is represented in a very unique way. The project consists of metal, wood, plastic and glass which are the sources of the sounds. Aluminium bars are used to create a lasting and rich harmony. The segments of the installation were hung on wires through which the impulses were transferred to the sound activator and the damper. The algorithm of transposition and conversion turned statistics into impulses which were distributed to the segments to make sounds. These sounds created are rather relaxing, which has been achieved through the artist’s work on the the algorithm and the mechatronics. This shows that the artist sends a message to his audience that technology can not only be used to create solitude for people but also make the solitude comforting.

Source: https://metalmagazine.eu/en/post/interview/andrius-sarapovas-transforming-data-into-music

installation sound – 26 / 77 segments recorded – 17.06.25 from Andrius Šarapovas on Vimeo.