Sophia Kim – Looking Outwards 12 – Sec C

“BAD SIGNALS” and “FUZZY BLOB” were both created in the beginning of 2018. Both projects are created by Avseoul. While both projects use webgl, “BAD SIGNALS” uses the webcam as a part of their visuals, and “FUZZY BLOB” uses the microphone to make audio. I noticed the use of vibrant colors throughout both projects. I admire how the sound transitions are shown visually through change of colors, because they are bold and noticeable. For “BAD SIGNALS,” I noticed how the glitches are responsive to sound. I admire how the glitches are not subtle, but rather exaggerative to show change. “FUZZY BLOB” allows the user to interact with the webgl not only with realtime audio, but also with mouse movement (can make affects and indents on the ‘fuzzy blob’). Similar to “FUZZY BLOB,” “BAD SIGNALS” utilizes realtime audio to make glitches on the visuals, which is from the web camera. I admire both projects, because they get the user to interact with the visuals and audio. Also, these projects depend on the user’s interaction (ie the sounds made by the user/their environment, their mouse movement).