Jenni Lee—Looking Outwards 12

“All Aboard the Sonic Train”

The first project that I will draw inspiration from is “All Aboard the Sonic Train” by Phil Giarrusso. Phil Giarrusso is a designer, illustrator, and animator specializing in pixel art and game development. Inspired by a beloved childhood video game, Sonic the Hedgehog, Phil Giarruso recreates a scene from the game through motion graphics using a pixeled aesthetic. Because my project will involve a character running and jumping across a moving landscape, I was inspired by the aesthetic of this project. In addition, I enjoyed the colorful, bright colors in this gif, and I plan on drawing inspiration form this color palette and using it in my project.

Click here to view more of Giarrusso’s work

“Flat Design Dragon for Games”

The second project that I will draw inspiration from is “Flat Design Dragon for Games” by a design company called “Gigantic” which specializes in flat design illustration and 2D animation. Similar to the project above, I was inspired by not only the color palette and gameplay aesthetic, but I liked the usage of various layers within the piece. I plan on incorporating various layers and colors in order to create depth in my project.

Click here to view more of Gigantic’s work