Xindi Lyu- Looking Outwards-12

For my final project I’m planning to do a jigsaw-puzzle interactive game for the players to get to know animals that had become extinct. Based on this idea I searched for art projects and artists that are related with deconstructing geometries and had some interesting results.

The first inspiration is this puzzle. The Earth Puzzle by generative design studio Nervous System has no defined borders. You put it together how you want it and you can just see where it takes you. This gave me the inspiration of making the game in the form of “puzzle” in order to provide better experiences for the players.

The second project I found interesting are these paper toys. The Japanese paper engineer Haruki Nakamura (previously) continues to design delightful toys using simple materials. This provided me an inspiration to deconstruct the animal shapes into simple geometries as puzzle pieces.

These two projects are both associated with animals and geometries, but the difference is that the first project is more focused on generating but the second is more focused on deconstructing an existing subject.

In the end, I decided for my final project to be a jigsaw-puzzle encyclopedia.