Looking Outwards – 09

For this Looking Outwards assignment, I chose to look at Flora’s blog post from last week. Flora’s post mentioned how she really liked the “Summer ’91” piece by Sarah Groff Hennigh-Palermo because the work had a smooth visual flow, with mesmerizing warm tones. I thought this was accurately describing the work because upon first glance at the work, I immediately thought of a hot summer day, but an enjoyable type of hot weather. It’s very appealing to the eyes especially during dark seasons and cold weather right now.

I think that in order to add to this discussion, Sarah’s type of artistic style should be talked more in-depth. Upon looking at her portfolio of modern artwork, it was very apparent that her work tends to relate to the “rare aesthetic/deeply hidden memories” trend, where the art tends to remind you of something you’ve seen long ago.

According to Sarah’s own website, my assumption about her art style was correct because she claims to focus on “hybrid nostalgia” with her work. I always tend to find these aesthetics amusing because in a way, it gives me deja vu or a quick glimpse of an old, fading, memory.

This is Flora’s original blog post from last week.

Below is the link to Sarah Groff Hennigh-Palermo’s work website.

http://art.sarahghp.com/works/

This is “Summer ’91” by Sarah Groff Hennigh-Palermo.
This is “Make Manifest” by the artist. This is the one that for some reason gave me ‘deja-vu’ vibes, and reminded me a lot of familiar images that I seem to remember from a while ago.