LookingOutwards-09

heyingw Section B

Project: Christina Phazero Curlee, “from Video Art to Video Game”, Breathe,2016

I think it’s amazing how the artist is able to turn her difficulty with depression to power and creativity that helps her build her unique, artistic, and meaningful games. Christina explained that before she started to make games, she was stuck in her own world and detached from the rest of the world. She has been struggling with depression for years. But in the process of making games, Christina began to connect with others as she needed to understand what the players are thinking at every stage to make good games. She became more social, and more curious about the world and other people. Her games spark a dialog between her and her players. Christina began to understand how they experienced the world, and make them understand her world through games. My peer admires the artist’s ability to use video game as a platform for communication and interaction. I think that’s definitely true. The video games served as bridges between Christina and the players, and also the world. Also, her games deal with meaningful topics such as child abuse, racial and sexual violence, marginalization, beauty standards, etc. She also incorporated illustration and photography. This makes her games different from regular shooting games that we see on the market. Her games become art that left deep impression on players and made people think.

The artist talks about her works

My peer’s Looking Outwards post: https://courses.ideate.cmu.edu/15-104/f2020/2020/10/26/08_lo_creativepractice/