LO – 11

I’m choosing to focus on FIELD’s “10,000 Digital Paintings,” which is a brochure design for GF Smith (fine quality paper company.) What caught my attention about this project is its beautiful colors and aesthetics and its slight resemblance of paint in water. Looking into it more, I was able to appreciate the practical quality of generative design. FIELD used custom software to generate 10,000 iterations (different views) of a hypercomplex structure. The results are thousands of brochures that are unique yet fit into a cohesive design theme. I find the intersection between modern generative design and the more traditional print medium interesting and relevant to what I want to study. 

The female artist behind FIELD is Vera-Maria Glahn. She started out as a producer and curator of media arts, performance and film for European film and media festivals in 2003. She later studied Visual Communication several years after and co-founded FIELD. FIELD is a creative studio based in London, U.K. specializing in art and technology; they make both independent and commissioned works for brands and cultural institutions.

Generative art in print!