LO2: Generative Art

Froschkonig (Frog Prince), 2020

The Piece of Generative Art that I found to be inspirational and admirable was Moka’s Froschkonig (Frog Prince), made in 2020.  

Moka, as known as Matthias Dorfelt, was born in the city of Hamburg, Germany in 1987. However, he earned his Master of Fine Arts from the University of California in Los Angeles and also bases himself there. His art also ranges from human-like doodles to pixel work.  

I found this particular piece to be particularly amusing, interesting, and inspiring. I like the character of Pepe, whom I find humorous, and to find him drawn this way, through computer algorithms, has caused me to rethink Generative Art as a whole.

The Piece is very human-like. If I had not known that it was generated, I would have considered it a well-done painting.

However, now that I know, I am astounded and am considering going further into Generative Art on my own. As for the Artwork itself, Moka did not reveal or speak about how he made it. His want of his work being playful and humorous shows through in this piece though. To conclude, Moka’s Piece and other work has made me change my view of Generative Art and has made me interested in the medium as a whole now.

Links for his Website, the Specific Piece (scroll until you see it), and Moka’s Background.