For this assignment we decided to create Telematic scores that focused on a variety of emotions and direct actions. We wanted to be creative with our actions, but ensure they had complementary reactions that could settle ones emotions. 

Telematic Score: Rebecca Jean-Louis

My telematic score focused on attempting one to encounter a normal interaction with a friend or roommate, however it overly focused on various ‘if cases’ to cause reactions. There were responses that were within the frame, so the conversation would be able to flow freely, and there were some that exaggerated ones emotions. 

These were the steps to take in sequence.

These were the reactions in relation to each step.

Results:

Telematic Score: Rebecca Kim

Results:

The person I did this exercise with was a close friend of mine, so my behavior to her seemed unsettling. She was thrown off for most of my actions and didn’t quite understand how to react. Mostly she was concerned about me, and wanted to simply ask me what was going on. However according to the score rules I couldn’t reveal that it was all a exercise. Most of the actions were unlinked to one another so my movements, actions, and saying were all over the place for her. She did participate in the note taking on a napkin but ended up listing, “Secrry: The ways Rebecca is making me scared”. She also expressed discomfort and perhaps thought that I was just joking with her. 

Telematic Score: Rebecca Kim

In the score for Rebecca JL, I treated her like a host body and had her perform the thoughts and actions that go through my head when I meet someone. I thought having a second body or checkpoint between my thoughts and what I do (she does) might facilitate what from the inside is shared outside but I instead felt more comfort to do all the things I would do while first meeting someone, through Rebecca. Like she amplified my voice and displayed everything going on in my head.

part 1 of Kim’s exercise
part 2;
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DilVfNA5K-3F_9GXMh_zJnrNPUC4tAi9QGzQ9yvBFK8/edit?usp=sharing

Response to Rebecca JL’s score

In response to Rebecca JL’s score for me, I: talked about body paralysis, colored on my iPad like a toddler with a tantrum, handed my best friend a green seven, incorrectly guessed that she didn’t like sugar doughnuts, and recited Love Story (Taylor’s Version) to her. We also listened to Ribs by Lorde and I wanted to give her a sad lap dance. I instead flung my scarf around her and then to the left and right of her on beat and giggled when my cloth fluttered and loitered in the air during intermediate beats.

If I could color during every social interaction I have to have I would

I imagine the exercise was supposed to be more seamless, circuit-like, but I ended up an ungraceful blundering mess who couldn’t remember what I was supposed to do if Iris said “yes.” Its style mimicked a function; giving straightforward inputs and outputs. If yes, this; if no, that. It felt very rigid and I am bad with precision and structure, too cluttered. I didn’t know if I could continue having a conversation or if I needed to play my recently played music or wrap a scarf around my neck and if that was dismissive and if I was being a poor listener. We were talking about our growth over a year and then I asked her if she wanted to play Uno.

And maybe because we’re still thawing after a year apart, it was kind of awkward. When asked about the exercise, Iris responded, “Uno was fun and random.”