The blog post, Feeling at Home: Between Human and AI, approaches and addresses questions that many of us may have thought before in a unique manner. “LAUREN” performs the character of a “smart home” but as a human with the help of installed cameras and microphones and speakers. Reading about her experiences first-hand caused a couple of different reactions on my end, some intellectual in nature and others emotional. For one, I was in disbelief that anyone would sign up to have a human watch their every step in their own homes. But I presume that was part of the idea – to ask why do we let our privacy be invaded by an “algorithm” but feel more uncomfortable with another human? Perhaps it’s the possibility of judgement that bothers me, but for the customers that signed up for LAUREN, there didn’t seem to be that hesitation. Even for the guest of the customer that was surprised to hear LAUREN say good night, he seemed to accept it right away.

I was also very curious about LAUREN’s incorporations of human characteristics that we don’t necessarily see in AI assistants – and how she struggled to see the benefits of including her human nature in her interactions. When she was asked if the customer had taken their pills, she admitted that she would be more sure if she was an algorithm and that’s just the truth that we have all come to expect. The AI we build and use is not meant to have the flaws and interaction powers of a human – for some reason, we are not looking for that. Is it all for convenience then? The lack of limits and boundaries we allow technology created by strangers to implement in our homes is all for the sake of “improving” the quality of our lives…