The first pneumatic devie reminds me of an evil carpet and a digestor. I used blue lace to create subtle ruffles on the pneumatic device.

The device curls in and falls back down as air is pumped in and out

I wanted to create a srunching or clenching effect. The lace fabric creates a rougher finish, making the edges and folds more organic. When someone is scared, they hold their breath and tense up. When the danger is gone, they let go of the tension and release their breath. Likewise, this device tenses up when pumped with air and lets out a breath of relief when the air is released.

As air is released from the device, the ruffles separate
As air is pumped into the device, the fabric srunches up.

The second pneumatic actuator puffs up and deflates. I used a light colored lace for this device because it creates a softer, delicate appearance. The lace is folded into pleats and is secured on one edge of the device. When the device is pumped with air, the lace flares slightly.

This device looks like a flower blooming and a dress flaring. By securing only one edge, the lace is able to expand as air is pumped into the device. The movement of the fabric is so subtle. When it blooms and shrinks, it seems very shy and hesitant. You almost want it to bloom completely and suddenly.

Overall, creating these pneumatic devices was very fun. I used tape to secure the fabric but it was a little difficult to get it to hold. Unfortunately, every time I made the third device, there was some leak in the device. So I decided to focus my energies on these two devices.