Object 1: Surprise!
Object 2: Curves
Object 3: Contraction

Apologies for massive photos, for some reason my “tiles” section is not available in this wordpress site and gallery doesn’t want to open up the image bigger.

This was a hard project with thinking about inflation, animation, and fabric. I went ahead and tried a couple of ideas and they did not inflate well or just didn’t have a character that I enjoyed. The above example I feel embody emotion, movement, and fabric in ways that I enjoy and I hope others enjoy as well. I tried to use cuts and size of fabric to allow for small movement or expansion. I also used cuts for flare and an attention-grabbing action such as in object 1.

I call Object 1 surprise! because of how it can animate at you with the glitter and tassels. I chose the fabric with the idea of movement in mind due to the glittery and shininess of silver. I think it is pretty successful at showing its jolting forward movement and the fabric flows with that movement to give the element of surprise. It may seem lifeless unfilled, but once air is pushing through it, it comes to life!

Object 2 I call curves because I cut slits in the fabric so that is better hugs the rectangles and squares like a tapered bodice. I think the bottom larger rectangle really shows how the fabric curves with the inflation of the piece. After deflation, that fabric relaxes with the object. It works pretty well!

Lastly, Object 3 is my favorite as it has a lot of emotion and movement. I enjoyed adding a lacy blue fabric, cutting it into vertical strips that moved with the pleats in the object. As the object contracts like it is in pain, the fabric moves with it, giving an even more exaggerated essence. I think this piece really combines the movement, emotion, and fabric the best out of all three.