Tue. Mar 23, 2021, 10:30AM to 12:20PM (Zoom)
Today’s class is primarily devoted to discussion and brainstorming.
- Brief check-in.
- Any questions?
- Soft Technologies Office Hours: Wednesdays, 7-8pm at this zoom link
- with Professors Olivia Robinson, Chris Atkeson (RI), Melisa Orta Martinez (RI), and Jim McCann (CS).
Shared review of your proposed projects for Project 1: Ambient Proxy Body. Each group will briefly describe their ideas.
Individual group breakout sessions. Garth and Olivia will move from group to group to consult. Please open this shared slide deck, find your page, reflect with your partner on the prompt questions, and write brief responses. We encourage adding additional sketches as needed.
After the breakouts, we will regather in the main session to review your refinements. Each group will discuss their revised ideas, then the class will add notes to each slide with constructive critiques.
We expect that the technological aspects of this project will take the longest time, so we’d like to ensure each group is managing this critical path.
- Develop a proof-of-concept software sketch including reading sensors, moving actuators, transmitting sensor data, receiving remote data, performing an ambient behavior, and performing a responsive behavior. The details may be minimal, but this will ensure you are thinking of all the elements, minus the actual MQTT connection. During development it is easier to type simulated remote data at the mu console to test local responses.
- Wire up any needed sensors or actuators to test the sketch.
- Record a brief video of the outcome.
- This is due Thursday, March 25 at the beginning of class.
We are expecting that prototype a kinetic fabric mechanism will take some time. Looking ahead, we will be expecting a prototype device fabricated by Tuesday, March 30.