Muse

For my project I put together a composition that I can perform live with Ableton, MaxForLive and my LaunchControlXL. I recorded some loops of myself playing marimba and vibes, and that’s what the very beginning consists of. The next blip bloopy kind of instrument was a product of FM synthesis and the FFT Delay we used in class.

The voice sample is just something I found on the internet. The point of the composition was not really to hear the speech but to hear what was happening to the sounds. My intention was to add effects and modulate it in such a way that it morphs the concepts of speech and musical sound.

The first effect I added was an FFT delay I made simply by reading the samples back into the buffer after they are read by the index. The second was a filter with the Q pretty much maxed out. Then I added Ableton’s resonator effect, which added and accentuated harmonics that I played around with throughout the composition. After sending it through another simple delay I EQ’d it to find the really resonant frequencies and it kind of rests in that general area for a while. I’ve included a link to the piece and a link to the code for the embedded pfft~ for my homemade FFT delay.