For project 1, I created a generative ambient patch within Max. I took a lot of reference from the Mlooch patch.
Code is available below:
I altered the spectral delay so that it was more random and occurred over a longer period of time (100 seconds). I then demonstrated this using the beginning of Gillian Hills’ Zou Bisou Bisou.
I was invited by the Pittsburgh femme DJ collective girlFx to perform an ambient “chill late night lounge vibe” piece at Dobra Tea on November 3rd. Instead of making a mix, I was hoping to compose a generative, ambient piece, hopefully featuring my omnichord. I was hoping for my final piece to have elements similar to this piece:
I don’t have an edited Folktek Omnichord, so I was hoping to recreate similar elements, while adding even cooler and generative effects. I also want to make it customizable and interesting enough to last 2+ hours without getting boring.
For my piece, I took Vulfpeck’s isolated parts of their cover of Poinciana, and convoluted each part so that it took place in a different setting. I then edited them back together so that the harmonies would still exist, but it would be as if each instrument was performing in a different location.
I did not make many changes to the original patch, other than adding an sfrecord~ to record the audio
I started off wanting to recreate the effect within Earth, Wind, and Fire’s music video for September. In the end I did something a little bit different, but still really cool. I used Chroma Keying (or greenscreening) to play a delayed version of a video behind the subject. It ended up making a really cool effect that I would love to explore more, both with different greenscreen footage and even footage without.
For my project, I worked with data-moshing a video loop of a pinecone time lapse. Data-moshing takes advantage of the way video files are compressed, and the glitches can be layered by repeating the process with each loop.
I tried with both starting from the pinecone image and starting from black. Starting from the pinecone created a more glitchy image at the end; starting from black led to more distorted colors at the beginning.
I used the technique of I-Frame deletion which you can read more about over here.