Author Archives:

Assignment 2 – Kun Peng

In this assignment, I used time-shifting techniques to simulate multiple people reading the same text.

The first component of the patch is a phasor which can generate pitch change when used in combination with a delay window(tapin~ and tapout~). I think the output of this approach sounds less robot-like compared to that of gizmo~ and freqshift~.

The second component adds a small randomized time shift to each track/simulated audio so that “multiple people’s” voices are not completely synchronized with each other. I want the time shift value to vary with time, too, since if one audio is always x milliseconds behind another, it will be pretty easy for the audience to tell the hardcoded delays. To work around this issue, I feed the volume of each audio back to itself. When there is a silence or a sentence break in the audio, the patch will generate a new time shift value.

The attached audio is a sample from an audiobook.The same technique can also be applied on the fly.

Assignment 1 – Kun Peng

In this assignment, I applied a text summarization API( to an abridged version of The Republic, Book I., managed by a group of professional Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning researchers from University of Science and Technology of China(USTC), is one of the several popular text summarization APIs online. In this experiment, I want to summarize The Republic downto one sentence.

 Completing this task in one setting can be very demanding of the algorithm and does not conform with how information is conventionally processed. Therefore, I decided to cut 1/2 of the text from every last attempt to produce the new summary. The original file has approximately 479 sentences; it is reduced from 479 to 240, from 240 to 120… until there is only one sentence left.  

I’m still trying to learn more about the exact algorithm applied in the API.  Therefore, I cannot comment on how reliable it is. However, since a decent amount information is kept in the first few rounds (and they seem to convey the material in the Republic pretty well), we may assume that the algorithm is at least, functional. Although in the final summary, the information in The Republic is completely destroyed, I must admit that the final summary is exactly my what I can tell about The Republic at the moment (after studied it a few semesters ago).