Assignment 2: Pitch shifts and accidental overtones

Hey all!

For my second assignment, I wanted to create a Max patcher that would create echos, but with specified pitch shifts. Then, I decided to do some experimentation, which led to me accidentally discovering cool ways to create overtones just by taking the same audio and changing the delay for L and R.

Here’s the high level view of my patch.

The input to my subpatcher is:

• A mono input using ezdac~
  • Delay L (ms)
  • Delay R (ms)
  • Decay (0-1)
  • Pitch shift (by ratio)

The output is an audio file with echos. Each echo will be scaled by the decay and pitchshifted by the pitch shift ratio. Each echo will be scaled and pitchshifted again– this means that we will hear multiple successive pitches for each note sung.

My favorite intervals to play with were the m3, M3, and M2. Making the decay scaling value high made the higher pitches more audible, which made it so you could hear more of the higher pitches. With the delay L and R, setting them to be slightly different was a fun way to hear phasing. When phasing, I noticed that noise levels grew while my voice seemed to interfere with itself, which makes sense to me– noise is audible at any time, so it’s understandable that it would compound with time.

Here is the subpatcher:

Here is an audio demo + the patch for anyone interested.