Robert Keller Assignment 3: Convolutional Cover

Hello! For this assignment, I took several impulse recordings  and convolved them with different sources of audio. For my original signal, I used the opening to Jethro Tull’s Thick as A Brick. I picked this recording because it was an acoustically “dry” signal, but also had many different elements of audio in it:

My first impulse recording was recorded in the bottom of the Doherty stairwell:

The resulting audio sounded exactly as if it had been played from the bottom of a stairwell:

My second impulse recording was taken from the inside of a grand piano:

Ian Anderson’s voice reacted strangely to this impulse, probably because of the harmonics produced:

The next impulse response I used was actually a recording of a handpan that I found on freesound.org:

Convolving this signal with Tull provided some interesting results:

For my final impulse response, I took the impulse of my room at 4am. Needless to say, my roommate wasn’t pleased.

I had to doctor the impulse signal up a bit to produce an interesting response:

The resulting convolution produced an interesting echo effect:

For my convolution piece, I recorded a cover of Skyhill’s “City as You Walk”. I split the recording up into 5 different pieces. The first chunk was convolved with the IR from the Doherty stairwell. The second chunk was convolved with the inside of the grand piano. The third chunk was convolved with an IR from the top floor of Margaret Morrison. The fourth chunk (and my favorite part of the song) was convolved with the IR of my roommate at 4am. The trailing bit was convolved with the handpan, because the handpan IR destroys most of the vocals. You should be able to make out when the impulse response changes from section to section.

For my Max Patch, I used the following patch to generate most of my audio signals: