Project 2: Toy Manufacturing

Toy selection and preliminary plan due February 9
Web pages due February 14
CAD drawings due February 23
Manufactured toys due March 7

For Project 2, each team will manufacture one of their toy concepts.  In class on February 9, I will ask each team to tell me which toy you plan to manufacture, what processes you plan to use, what each person on the team plans to do, and when your internal deadlines are. You will have time during class on 2/9 to put your plan together.

Manufacturing processes available on campus

To get a better idea of the manufacturing facilities on campus, each student will create a WordPress page that

• describes how the assigned process works
  • links to online resources (e.g. YouTube videos of the process in action)
  • provides information about where the process is available on campus and how to gain access

Page of manufacturing processes with links to pages

Table of assigned processes by student number

When you create your page, be sure that the page title includes the name of the process and that the parent page is this assignment page.

CAD files of parts

For this part of Project 2, each student needs to generate a CAD file of one component of the toy that will be manufactured by the team. If your toy doesn’t have enough parts or a CAD file is infeasible for some reason, then a CAD drawing of a part of another toy is acceptable.

I installed a WordPress plugin called Canvasio3D. It is quirky, but I got it to display an STL file of a standard test cube. See the test page.

You should save (or export) your CAD model as an STL file. For the name of the file, use your student number or your andrew id. Then, upload it to the Media page in our WordPress site. I’ll try to link them all into a display page. Warning: You will lose all the colors in your CAD drawing. The color has to be entered by hand into the code snippet that the plugin creates, so I won’t be able to fix it for each file. (Edit the test page to see what the code snippet looks like.)

Manufactured toys

Each team should bring its manufactured toy (or as much of the toy that’s ready) to class on Tuesday March 7. I am only expecting the mechanical parts of the toy for this deadline. If your team is planning to add electronics, that isn’t due yet.

Ordering parts for Project 2

Fill out the class order form to request parts. I will send the requests to the IDeATe purchasers on Friday morning every week.