Oodbird – clock

https://editor.p5js.org/arenouf/sketches/xqsfDmfB7

For this project I wanted to focus on the relationship between time and work, especially as it pertains to art and craftsmanship . A lot of how I measure time is based on how much work I have done or the speed at which I do work, especially given the unstructured nature of online classes.

One of the things I wanted to focus on was the human aspect of time, and i wanted to try to work against the mechanical and impersonal feeling of both clocks and computers. For this reason I became very interested in medieval text illustrations called illuminations. These illustrations feel extremely personal and when looking at a text featuring one of these, the amount of time put into them is very apparent.

sketches and planning:

After spending  a lot of time planning out images and compositions that could work with the setup we were given for display. The final clock was created. There 23 different illumination illustration that cycle(one for each hour of the day). The writing on the chalkboards is reset ever minute and the letters cycle from left to and top to bottom every second.