tale-facereadings

• Clearview.ai

I didn’t know about Clearview.ai until I watched “Face Recognition” from Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. I was extremely surprised that there are a great number of people who aren’t aware of the critical problems these face recognition softwares and accessing/collecting data from online are. Although I did thought about the possibility that others who I don’t know may access my photos on my SNS page, for example, and use it for whatever purpose I do not give consent to, knowing that there exists a company that actively collects and analyzes photos from online really concerns me. I think I’ll be thinking twice before I upload anything to my SNS…

• Inaccuracy in face recognition leading to social justice issues

I learned that inaccuracy in face recognition software could lead to a severe results from Joy Buolamwini’s Tedtalk video. I too have a memory of laughing at the inaccurately tagged names on social media, but just like what Joy Buolamwini said, it no longer becomes something trivial that we could just laugh over when it comes to crimes and suspects. People could be blamed for something they weren’t even aware of, at the most unexpected moments. I strongly agree that face recognitions not recognizing faces of people of colors enhances the pre-existing racism in the country, and that this problem should be brought up to the surface even more and be fixed anytime soon.