sweetcorn-clock

Lovely Clock for Food with Friends

I want to use all of my time to build lovely friendships with so many lovely people around me. I want to bring everyone together for lovely meals where we all share food and stories and joy and company and time with each other. I want to spend my time realizing that lovely vision instead of dwelling on the past. Below are some of my notes and sketches while I was thinking about this project :~) (please excuse the unrelated notes).

I hope to have captured a sort of Betty Crocker look (I looked back at the recipe books my mom had left behind in the dust of the pantry here, dog-eared and underlined), just as I hope to posture myself to be sweetcorn, in the fullest sense of the name. I hope this project’s affect sticks to those who happen upon it, like a lovely scent from a kitchen on your favorite sweater that reminds you of home <3

The majority of the difficulty I had was getting recipes in an easy-to-parse-through format. I ended up having to settle for this archive of XML recipe files that did not have any times as values. I then had to comb through the cooking directions looking for instances of “minute” and “hour,” then creating a substring from the numbers in front of those instances. I then summed up those values and compared it to the time until the next common meal time to determine how many friends you could feed. In the future I hope to comb through the ingredients as well and deal with the horrible mixed number formats in order to generate a shopping list proportional to the number of friends.

Feel free to view my code here!

xoxoxo

~sweetcorn