Response to Exit Tickets of 09-14

Feedback on the Class so Far

Back to Basics

• I want some time to practice foundational computational drawing skills, like drawing curves etc.

More Critique

• Can we have a bit more time for critiques? Especially for feedbacks from classmates.
  • More class discussion of projects (I get the past two projects not being developed conceptually enough for extensive feedback).

Recorded Lectures

• I like the class tutorials. I wish the zooms were recorded.
  • More video lectures would help a lot to digest the content from class. (The “springs” lecture today was pretty fast-paced for me. It would be great to have a video recap if time permits.)
  • I wished the lectures were recorded so I could refer to the little tidbits mentioned when you fiddle with the demo to demonstrate the forces.
  • I think having several recorded videos on code explanations would be helpful and could be posted with the daily notes after class? I also think providing some more comments that explain what the crucial variables do exactly.
  • I feel like this course goes really fast. However, I believe that’s just how the class is now and it will slow down later

Other

• Zoom has been bringing a lot of anxiety for me the past week and sometimes my home environment does not really help me when I am in that state. I was wondering if you are open to having to step out by turning off video and just chatting as response?

Questions

Should we brush up on OOP? I saw some of that in the examples and I’m pretty rusty.
Yes. I think this example will help a lot.

When it comes to computational artwork, is being “clean” about your designs something that will only be desired, or do you think something “cluttered” , “messy” or maybe even “indecipherable” can also be considered desired as a design/artwork.
I think that it takes discipline and craft to develop the control to make good-looking things, so I think making something look good is a worthy goal for new learners— rather than settling for something that looks crappy and then saying “But I meant for it to look junky”, as often happens in Art Sqool. The people who are successful at making cluttered, messy or indecipherable work are either extremely good at what they’re doing, or they are parlaying a very different kind of content (e.g. punk, cottagecore, etc.). I’ll try to find some examples for you.

How do you manage your time? I’m working on establishing some kind of progress schedule for each week’s project, but I find it either too late(implementing last minute) or too early (finished project but learns more cool tools during monday class but don’t have enough time to implement those cool functions to a nice extent cuz of other course hws)…
Zoom life is a different kind of time. Our current pace is inherited from previous IRL classes, but I’m discovering that the lack of face-to-face time and parallel-isolation imposes a significant “tax” on student progress. It’s becoming quite clear to me that it’s harder for students to get technical answers, and it’s harder for you to get feedback signals about the quality of your work.

What’s your opinion on new media art appearing in art fairs like the Armory Show and Art Basel?
Everyone’s trying to make a buck; they are welcome to try. At least it’s considered art and people are encountering it. In the 1960s-1980s, many people would not consider something made using a computer to be art. I don’t necessarily think that the stuff shown in art fairs is the most interesting art, and that goes double for electronic stuff.

Can you tell us a bit about what the Studio for Creative Inquiry does?
Gladly! And, our website is here.